Why Public Training? The training is a comprehensive overview and detailed explanation of Solarwinds® modules. It is led by a seasoned engineer and former Solarwinds® employee, with experience working on hundreds of unique Solarwinds® platforms.
Features & Benefits • Learn the fundamentals of SolarWinds® tools
• Hands-on learning lab with customized equipment
• NPM, NCM, SAM, DPA, WPM, VMAN, SRM, AppStack, Application Maps, and Custom SQL Alerts & Reports
• Breakfast and Lunch provided each training day
• Led by a Certified SolarWinds® Professional (SCP)
SolarWinds Training Courses Modules Covered - NPM, NCM, SAM, DPA, WPM, VMAN, SRM, & Custom SQL Alerts and Reports
ORION CORE 201: System Management & Monitoring
The Loop1 Systems SolarWinds Orion 201 training course instructs students on how to design and implement end-to-end application monitoring by leveraging SolarWinds products. This four-day advanced course covers NPM, NCM, SAM, DPA, WPM, VMAN, SRM, Custom SQL Alerts and Reports.
The primary objective of this course is to help students evolve from basic up/down monitoring into a holistic end-to-end monitoring technique that allows organizations to pin-point the impact of performance issues or outages across complex application delivery environments. Additionally, this course deals with advanced deployments for large organizations with multiple polling engines and the associated architecture and load-balancing best practices.
Orion 101 not required, but this course will not cover installation nor provide a basic overview of SolarWinds applications and the Orion Platform. Students would highly benefit from a basic understanding of the Transact SQL and PowerShell languages, but prior understanding is not required.
Day 1: Network Performance Monitor (NPM)
1. Orion Architecture Best Practices
- Primary Polling Engine
- Additional Polling Engines
- Additional Web Engines
- SQL Server
2. Discovery of Nodes in the Enterprise
3. Out-of-the-Box Monitoring vs. Custom Pollers
- Creation of Universal Device Pollers
- Creation of Custom Device Studio Pollers
4. NetPath Configuration
5. Network Insight for F5 Devices Overview
Students will perform NPM discovery in the context of application monitoring and mapping. They will get hands-on experience running network discovery scans.
Day 2: Network Configuration Manager (NCM) & Server and Application Monitoring (SAM)
1. Initial Configuration of NCM
- Creating Customized Device Templates
- Creating Customized Configuration Change Templates
- Working with and Understanding Compliance
- Overview of Change Approval Process
2. SAM Architecture Best Practices
- Additional Polling Engines and Web Engines
- SQL Server
3. Discovery of Applications in the Enterprise
4. AppInsight Templates vs Standard Templates
- IIS, SQL, ActiveDirectory, and Microsoft Exchange
5. Custom Script Component Monitors
- Create Custom PowerShell Script Monitors
6. Baselining and Thresholds for Application Alerts
Students will see how to manipulate monitored objects directly in the Orion database while gaining an in-depth understanding of how to map all components of an application within an application delivery environment. Students will gain an understanding of how to monitor availability and performance, including identifying and setting thresholds for application performance.
Day 3: Database Performance Analyzer (DPA), Website Performance Monitor (WPM), Virtualization Manager (VMAN), Storage Resource Monitor (SRM), AppStack View, and Application Maps
1. Initial Configuration of DPA
- Importing IPAM data best-practices and caveats
2. Integration of DPA with Orion and SAM
- DPA Overview and Monitoring waits
- Blocks, Alerting & Reporting from the DPA Web Console
3. Configuration of WPM
4. Overview of WPM Capabilities
- User-Experience Monitoring Theories
- Alerting and Reporting with WPM data
5. Initial Configuration of VMAN
6. Integration of VMAN with Orion
7. VMAN Management, Alerting, and Reporting from the Orion Platform
8. Configuration of SRM
9. Alerting and Reporting with SRM data
10. Using Orion Maps to Create Hybrid Application Maps for the Enterprise
11. SolarWinds AppStack View Overview
Students will learn the differences between AppInsight and custom template monitors, and deploy both AppInsight for SQL and DPA.